Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Proper way of storing tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999, 04:38 AM
Tim

Default Proper way of storing tires?

Is there one? I just switched over to winter tires on my A4 and have my original set of tires and rims stacked up in my garage. Should I release the pressure or should I leave it as is at 32 psi. Should I bring it into the basement where it'll be warmer compared to the garage?

I know this is a small "****" thing to worry about, but hey, I love my A4 (including the tires!), as I'm sure most of you guys do.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-25-1999, 06:39 AM
CraigB

Default Here's what I do...

Stack on top of each other, with cardboard or plywood underneath (so the bottom one's not resting on the concrete). I leave the proper pressure in the tires. I store them in the garage, but may get ambitious enough this year to haul them to the basement. Also, I label them as to where they came off the car (RF, RR, LF, LR), so I can rotate them when I re-install for the next season.

I did this for 8 years with my CRX snow tires and never had a problem.

HTH,
CraigB
Old 10-25-1999, 07:08 AM
Tim

Thanks Craig!
Old 10-26-1999, 11:21 AM
Mac

Default I saw this on a car show on TV (maybe MotorWeek?)...

They recommended storing the tires standing up beside each other, resting on two pieces of wood, like 2 x 4's, a short distance apart so that the rubber was not actually on the ground.

It seemed to me that this might, over a winter, create indentations where the tire rested on the wood, and that a "flat spot" where the tire was on the ground might be preferable.

This will be my first winter storing tires, so additional feedback (besides Craig's) would be appreciated.

Mac
99.5 1.8TQTip
Old 10-27-1999, 08:08 AM
DougR

Default The brochure I got with my new Pirelli winter tires recommends storing them in plastic garbage bags

...blocks light, keeps 'em dry. They had something to say about temperature too, but I don't remember what :-)

DougR