Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Question about tires for Squaw, CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tires for Squaw, CA

I have a quattro A4 with sports package OEM SP8000. Would I be able to go up to Squaw/Tahoe to ski without any modification? Do I need snow tire/chain/all-season tires?

I will only make one trip per year, so I prefer not to change any tires if I can get away with it.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2000, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bad news, I'm afraid

Your tires are NOT all season or "M+S" rated tires. As such, you are subject to the entire gamut of California chain laws.

There are three chains restrictions, R-1 through R-3.

R-1 is snow tires required, passenger cars with snow tires OK. You do NOT qualify for this - you don't have snow tires, and quattro doesn't matter to the CHP or Caltrans.

R-2 is snow tires required, four wheel drive with snow tires OK. Again, you don't qualify without snow tires.

R-3 is chains required, period. Doesn't matter what you drive, must chain up.

If any chain restriction is posted, YOU MUST CARRY CHAINS even if you're not using them. CHP can and will make you get out of the car, open your trunk, and show them your chains.

THE BAD NEWS: YOU CAN'T PUT CHAINS ON YOUR CAR! The Sport package A4 doesn't have enough clearance behind the front wheels for any sort of chains.

Of course, if the roads are clear you won't need chains, or snow tires, at all. But that only works LATE in the season. DON'T EVEN THINK about trying it during the winter - I can't think of a better way to guarantee a blizzard will hit than to head up to the mountains with summer tires.

Therefore, you have only two choices: get snow tires, or drive a different car to the mountains. There is no third choice, I'm afraid.

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 12-03-2000, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Bad news, I'm afraid

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Do the all season tires qualify for snow tire for R1 and R2? (ie. Dunlop SP5000 or Potenza RE940?)
Old 12-03-2000, 10:24 PM

Default more question

Just want to make sure I understand the restrictions. Qustions:
1. The three different restrictions are applied depending on the snow storm condition? If it is not snowing, then no restriction applies, right?
2. If I have all-season tire, a four-wheel drive car such as quattro will pass for R2, whereas a rear-wheel drive car, such as Mercedes, will only pass for R1 and not R2, correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2000, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default More answers!

1. The restrictions don't depend on whether it's snowing, they depend on the condition of the road. Chain restrictions can continue long after the storm is over, depending upon the actual pavement conditions. Ice can linger for a long time.

2. That's correct. Remember, you MUST carry chains, even if you're not using them. And in my experience, R-3 is pretty rare. If it's R-3, there's a strong likelihood that some bozo will spin out and block the road, and you'll be stuck anyway. If it's R-3, stay home! With stock 205 tires on A4, chains won't fit anyway. The only way you can chain up is to downsize tires. I always ran snow tires in size 195/65-15 on my A4's. That way, there was just enough room for chains if I absolutely had to use them.

As to the question in your other post, California doesn't distinguish between "all-weather" and "winter" tires. The key is the "M+S" marking on the sidewall. If your tires say "M+S" then, as far as California is concerned, they're snow tires. In my experience virtually all "all-season" tires, as well as winter tires, are marked M+S, but be sure to check the actual tires.

Hope that helps.

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 12-05-2000, 03:00 PM

Default Re: More answers!

Thanks you very much for your help.