Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Question for Gary @ Tirerack

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Gary @ Tirerack

I have been considering tires for my '03 225 TTQR with stock 18" wheels. I have read the reviews and tests of the tires on TireRack and am looking to stay in the $120/tire price range. I had narrowed my choices down to the Kumho ECSTA SPT and the Avon Tech M500. I noticed the Avon had won a few of the tire tests, but the test ratings between these two (never compared head to head) were very close. The Avon's ratings had actually differed depending on which test I looked at. I also slightly considered going with the Avon Tech M550 A/S instead of the dedicated summer's, but am slightly leaning toward the summer tires. Do you have a recommendation between these 2 (maybe 3) tires or have a better recommendation for this car?

Also, without searching through this forum, is there any additional discount from TireRack offered through this website? :-)

BTW, I have ordered all of my tires, as well as my Dad's, from Tire Rack since around '94. Can't beat the price once the tire price reaches over around $50 - $60 per tire.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question for Gary @ Tirerack

We have not tested them side by side, but it would be my feeling that the M500 would offer a bit quicker steering response and dry grip, while the SPT should be a bit softer riding. These will be very similar tires so the differences are likely to be very small.

The M550A/S is a different animal entirely. As an all season tire it will be noticably softer riding than the two summer tires and will have longer wear while giving up some dry grip and handling to get it.

Sorry, we don't offer any forum discounts, but Audiworld does get a portion of the proceeds when the order is attributed online as per the instructions in my sig.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&amp;url=/tires/index.jsp">Tires</a></li></ul>