Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Rear Brake Pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Pad wear

Hello,

I took my 201 SQ5 in today, it's at 20Kmi, and they indicated I need new rear brake pads/rotors. My rear pads are at 2mm, and my front are at 6mm. Is anyone else running into this? I don't think the pads should wear down that fast given I never drive on a track and just drive around town?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ5Owner
Hello,

I took my 201 SQ5 in today, it's at 20Kmi, and they indicated I need new rear brake pads/rotors. My rear pads are at 2mm, and my front are at 6mm. Is anyone else running into this? I don't think the pads should wear down that fast given I never drive on a track and just drive around town?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Um, I'm a very new A3 owner, but I put 250,000 miles on an Acura TSX. There was a period, over about 18 months, where three times the service advisor said the rear brakes needed to be replaced. I used to do my own brakes, and would look at them when swapping snow and summer tires, but eventually I bought a set of pads and rotors. The rotors were starting to look worn so I replaced them and installed the new pads, about 8,000 miles after the last dealer service: the old rear pads had 7mm of material left, compared to the new pads with 10mm of material. With 2mm left on your rear pads, I'm guessing you had new pads installed, but did you ask for the old ones?

It came up in an Acura chatroom that TSXs wore out rear pads faster than front pads - crazy, given the front weight bias of that car - and it was suggested that the stability control might be causing the rear brakes to wear more. And it's possible that the stability control came on "so often to cause this condition" because of the way people drive: pinch their turns = um, can't find an apex (sorry); perhaps the SQ5 generates a lot of understeer, or various low tire pressure conditions, or less performance oriented tire choices, maybe). I typically turned that car's stability control off if the roads were dry (because I didn't like sometimes having to fight the stability control in low gear/near full-throttle while turning situations), but my brakes just tended to last because I used to try to not need to slow down too much...and that 4 cyl Acura weighed as much as a V6 Accord.