Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Review: Pirelli W210A winter tire in 195/65HR15

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2000, 02:16 PM
DougR

Default Review: Pirelli W210A winter tire in 195/65HR15

Hello everyone! I've just returned from a 6400 mile winter road-trip and now feel qualified to comment on how my snow tires perform.

First, many thanks to those who came before me and posted their impressions. Thanks to my fellow AudiWorld'rs (A4.org'rs?) and TireRack availability, I quickly narrowed the search to this Pirelli, the Dunlop WinterSport M2, and the new Michelin Pilot Alpin. Since the Pilot Alpin is new, I decided against it until folks have more experience with it. I then narrowly selected the Pirelli over the Dunlop on the advice that the Pirelli would be slightly better on dry roads, and the Dunlop would be slightly better on ice. This decision was driven by the knowledge that I like to make cross-country driving trips in the winter from my Boston home to ski-country in Wyoming (Grand Targhee!)

I highly recommend the Pirelli W210A winter tire.

I have put 7000 miles on these on my A4 so far this winter in all conditions: light snow, deep snow, ice, slush, rain, dry roads, high speed, etc. They are terrific in the snow. I can *imagine* having better snow traction, but I *can't* imagine wanting any better snow traction than they, along with quattro, provide. Acceleration, cornering, and braking are all great in snow. On ice they are much better than any all-season tire I've used, but I wouldn't say they are a good ice tire. Traction still disappears on ice, so I'm careful. Interestingly, they seem to corner better than they stop on the ice. They are good in the rain, with good cornering, traction, wet-braking, and hydroplaning resistance. Nothing like dedicated summer tires mind you, but still good. Hydroplaning resistance is the biggie in the wet for me, and they have shown *no* tendency toward hydroplaning. On dry roads they definitely don't have the cornering grip of summer tires. To me, this is the compromise for having winter-weather performance. They're not scary or anything, they're just not in the league of my Dunlop SP8000E's. At 36 psi all the way around, the car tends just slightly towards understeering. Turn-in is ok, not great, not horrible. On-center tracking is *excellent*. Road noise is excellent, they are very quiet - slightly louder than the SP8000E, but absolutely not noticeable to me. At high-speeds on both dry and wet roads, I have confidence in the tire; it feels solid.

I made *exactly* the right choice of winter tire for me, provided I can get 25K miles out of them. Time will tell...

DougR
'00 1.8TQMS
15" ATP 5-spoke replica wheels
195/65HR15 Pirelli W210A winter tires
Old 01-11-2000, 06:08 PM
John G

Default Thanks, nice review...

I've got 205/55/16 Pirelli W210A's on my S4 and have been very pleased with them as far as dry and wet handling. But this winter has been so darn mild so far in the DC area there's been no chance to try them out in the snow.

John G
00 S4
Pirelli W210A on 16" MM Emotions
Old 01-11-2000, 06:45 PM
DMoore

Default My Pirelli 210Ps on S4 - first snow today

Finally got some snow in Mammoth today. I've got 205/55-16 P210A's on my S4. We got 1-2" of fairly dry snow over dry road, my first snow in the new car.

So far, so good. My comparison is to previous A4 2.8Q with Nokian NRWs, 195/65-15.

These tires are better in dry road conditions, but in snow they feel just a little bit "looser." Acceleration is good, braking is very good. Cornering feels good. Got a little tail slide on a couple of corners (intentionally) and a little more power pulled it right through. The A4 with NRW's took a little more effort to break loose in a corner. That could easily be attributible to the different widths.

No ice on the roads yet, but I'm sure there will be some by morning. I'm just glad I don't have the RE040's on ... that would be exciting!

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 01-13-2000, 10:00 AM
mpd333

Default Good review - you should submit it (link enclosed)

Link to user written forum<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/reviews/submit.html">https://www.audiworld.com/reviews/submit.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-13-2000, 10:34 AM
DougR

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll go ahead and submit it...