Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

S4 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 tires?

I have just found out that my Vredestein tires on my S4 are coming apart on the inside walls. You can see the steel. Needless to say, I need new tires. What are the latest and greatest out there?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

We need more info than that.
What is important to you: performance, noise, mileage, wear etc.
What is your driving style?
All season or summer?

You can get some great answers at the Tire Rack site - it can lead you through the selection process.

Also looking at the forum for your car (S4 B8? B7? B5?) and read postings there you will see some recommendations.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
We need more info than that.
What is important to you: performance, noise, mileage, wear etc.
What is your driving style?
All season or summer?

You can get some great answers at the Tire Rack site - it can lead you through the selection process.

Also looking at the forum for your car (S4 B8? B7? B5?) and read postings there you will see some recommendations.
Performance and not too noisy of a tire is important. All season is what I need. I drive some windy roads at times and the S4 couldn't be better for that. The Vredestein tires that I have split apart on the inside walls but have truly been one of the best rides that I have ever had. A tire like that that doesn't have such a flaw is what I would like. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bsslutcf
Performance and not too noisy of a tire is important. All season is what I need. I drive some windy roads at times and the S4 couldn't be better for that. The Vredestein tires that I have split apart on the inside walls but have truly been one of the best rides that I have ever had. A tire like that that doesn't have such a flaw is what I would like. Thanks for your help!

Top all season tires with good ride quality but still very good handling would include the Michelin Sport A/S Plus and Yokohama Avid Envigor.

When you have your new tires installed, check for negative camber in the alignment (this typically causes the type of wear you described. It is almost always not a flaw in the tire).

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I was just going to cite Michelin Sport A/S Plus.

Pricey but worth every penny. Great performance year 'round, great ride, quiet and pretty good longevity. (2nd time I've written that today - I swear I'm not paid by Michelin, just a fan).

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
Top all season tires with good ride quality but still very good handling would include the Michelin Sport A/S Plus and Yokohama Avid Envigor.

When you have your new tires installed, check for negative camber in the alignment (this typically causes the type of wear you described. It is almost always not a flaw in the tire).

Tires
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much of a performance trade-off is there between the Michelin Sport A/S Plus and something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by blueQ
How much of a performance trade-off is there between the Michelin Sport A/S Plus and something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport?
Night and day.
If you want the top performace in the summer months go for the Pilots
but don't even try driving with them in the snow.
The A/S's give you moderate performance throughout the year.
They will never outperform a performance tire in the warm temps and never outperform a winter tire in cold temps.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com

Tires
My car is at an Audi dealer to check alignment. I am told that the S4 is alwys set with negative camber; those are the specs. The car has 82000 miles of which the Vredesteins only have 12000 miles on them and until now I have never had this problem with any tire. Any ideas? Pretty scary to find this out when I just came back from a 350 mile trip driving to the limits in curvy mountaneous roads and highways reaching speeds that I would rather not say.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bsslutcf
My car is at an Audi dealer to check alignment. I am told that the S4 is alwys set with negative camber; those are the specs. The car has 82000 miles of which the Vredesteins only have 12000 miles on them and until now I have never had this problem with any tire. Any ideas? Pretty scary to find this out when I just came back from a 350 mile trip driving to the limits in curvy mountaneous roads and highways reaching speeds that I would rather not say.
I would worry about wear then on some suspension component. You might want to get an independent Audi shop to look at your car suspension.