Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Should I not go with an S-rated all season tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 10:25 AM
RobK

Default Should I not go with an S-rated all season tire?

Aside from less performance, what are the downsides of an "S" rated tire on my A4 as opposed to an "H." Will I notice a world of difference between the two?
I'm considering the Eagle GA.
Old 12-16-1999, 10:37 AM
Drew S.

Default I wouldn't do it.

Twenty years ago, cars and their suspensions were designed without much regard for the tires. You bought whichever tires you could afford.

These days, tires are an integral part of the design of the suspension. A performance car is designed with performance tires in mind. Putting something rated below an H on your A4 will adversely affect handling. You'll turn your car into Camry.

Now, you may say to yourself, "I don't race the car or push the limits... I don't need high performance tires". To which I would say, even if you don't push the limits of your car on a regular basis, I would not sacrifice the car's capabilities for a few bucks. Someday you may need to make an emergency maneuver to avoid an accident, and you will be happy that you don't have the cheaper tires. Also, the cheaper tires can affect your braking distance if the tires don't grip as well as the H rated tires.

How much is your safety worth to you?
Old 12-16-1999, 10:50 AM
DwayneC

Default Re: Should I not go with an S-rated all season tire?

I believe a higher speed rated compound has better traction.

As for your tire choice, I wouldn't recommend the Eagle GA. There are far better tires for *much* cheaper (like the Yokohama Avid T4). I consider the Eagle GA H rated tires on my other car to be junk.

Get some advice from a tire shop before deciding.

Dwayne
94 S4
Old 12-16-1999, 01:57 PM
ErikR

Default Run from that tire as fast as you can...

I personally would not put that tire on any car.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:31 PM
Peter

Default See my post below

Rob,
I am doing some research on inexpensive all-season tires for a friend of mine.
I've done a fair amount of research over the years, but not a whole lot with all-season tires.

I've used the Bridgestone RE930 H-rated all season tire, and they are one of the best rain tires on the market. Also quite respectable in the dry. And they cost a lot less than the inferior Goodyear Eagle GA.

Feel free to email me, and I'll share some more of the info I've learned.

Regards,
Peter
Old 12-17-1999, 12:42 AM
ChuckH

Default Friend has Eagle GA H rated tires on his Passat VR6, and...

...let me tell you, those thing suck big time. Probably the worst handling tires I've ever experienced. I think they actually have worse dry cornering traction than snow tires, and their wet traction is frightening.

If you want a good all-season tire, check out what Dunlop and Bridgestone have to offer. I believe the Bridgestone Potenza RE940 comes int he correct size for the A4 and is an excellent tire. Dunlop has the SP5000, which is suppose to be good also. Steer clear of the Eagles if you value your car and your life. I'm serious!

Charles
Old 12-17-1999, 12:47 AM
ChuckH

Default Yes. As I also mentioned below, the Potenzas can expell...

...amazing quantities of standing water, and also have good dry handling. They are also quiet and long lasting. Of the all-season tires, it's my opinion that Bridgestone makes some of the best for all around capabilities.

Charles
Old 12-17-1999, 09:15 AM
Ted K

Default GA's can kill you! (more)

They are really, really, really lousy tires in the rain and snow, they are very disappointing in the dry. They are stock on most Mk3 VW's and if you go to any VW newsgroup, there is certain unanimity in how everyone hates the GA's.

Okay, you understand that part. Now, for all-seasons, if you were going to spend as much as GA's cost (~$90 from TireRack), you should consider the Dunlop 4000 A/S or 5000A/S (newer version) or the Pirelli P7000SS. I know some on this board have complained about the noise of the 7000SS at high-mileage, but I think this tire is superior to the 4000A/S in terms of steering inputs and slightly better overall grip. These tires, for not much more money, offer VASTLY superior traits in almost every aspect over the GA, with the possible exception of treadwear. The differences are far worth the extra $25-30 TOTAL that you will probably have to pay to have these over the GAs.

They may save your life....I'm not kidding, the GA's are that bad. Email me for more UHPAS info if you want to.

Ted
Old 12-17-1999, 10:39 AM
beerguy

Default Eagle GAs suck!

Goodyear Eagle GA tires were on the used '96 A6 Quattro I purchased last winter (nice car!). I also own a BMW 325ix AWD (for sale) which has Michelin XGT V4 tires. The BMW with the Michelins goes like a snowmobile through snow covered roads here in MN. The first night I drove the A6 I slowed down to turn onto a crossroad. I was going a bit slower than I would have in my BMW because this was a new car for me and I wasn't as sure of the handling. I slowed, turned the wheel, and gave her just a bit of gas. To my shock, the car went straight and I smacked the curb. I got to buy a new $400+ alloy wheel the next day. These tires looked barely used from a treadlife standpoint. Needless to say, those POS Eagles were yanked this fall and I bought four BFG Comp T/A VR4. There is a world of difference. Learn from the mistakes of others!
Old 01-03-2000, 11:20 AM
Ken

Default Re: Should I not go with an S-rated all season tire?

I also had some Eagle GA tires in the past.
I lost control of my car going slowly (no more than 20mph) through a turn on a slightly wet road and ended up spinning the car into a curb.

Don't get them. I changed the tires to some Bridgestones which were much better.

Ken