Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Snow Tires for Use in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1998, 12:32 PM
rcl4668

Default Snow Tires for Use in Oregon

I just ordered a 99.5 A4 2.8 QMS. I gather from reading other posts that the standard Dunlop tires that come with the sport package are less than ideal for winter driving. I live in the Portland, Ore. area and would appreciate your recommnedations for a snow/ice tire that can handle a typical winter, i.e., typically wet or freezing rain conditions with occasional snow conditions or deep snow when driving to area ski resorts lie Mt. Hood or Bachelor. Any insights would be much appreciated.
Old 12-28-1998, 12:56 PM
LouisE

Default Re: Snow Tires for Use in Oregon

I am using Perilli Winter 210 A's. So far they handle well in the dry & wet and outstanding in light snow & ice. No experience as yet in heavy snow.<p>LouisE
Old 12-28-1998, 08:25 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Nokian Haakapelittas for best snow/ice traction; not too great for dry cornering

had them on my old Coupe Quattro; was able to drive just fine for about 10 miles on unplowed 12" snow in hilly Pittsburgh terrain. Have them on the A4 now, but weather hasn't cooperated to see how well they perform on this car. Have noticed that is a pretty severe deterioration in dry handling and braking from Dunlop SP8000s car came with (prob. due to both snow/ice compound/tread plus 15" wheel and narrower tread).<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 08:27 PM
Steve Mac

I live in Bend and I use studded snows (Michelin XMS 250) on 1988 factory alloys. They're great when it snows, not as great when it rains, like today. Most folks in PDX don't like to drive on studs due to the noise, but if that doesn't bother you, go down to Les Schwab and pick up a set of Nokian Hakka 1/w studs. If you don't want to hear the hum, try some studless ice tires. Be sure to get the ice tires, because of the !@#$% ice storms you get there. You will give up some dry handling, but when you need it, you will be able to go when others can't.<p>HTH,<br>Steve
Old 12-29-1998, 05:47 AM
Bill Shaffer

Default Winter Tires

Some people slam Consumer Reports, but I don't know where to get objective information. I'll try to summarize what they say excluding cost(value)<p>Michelin XM&S Alpin; "gave the best overall performance-very good wet and dry braking,competent cornering and handling, and excellent snow traction"<p>Bridgestone Blizzak; "very good for winter,but don't delay"...getting 'em off in the spring.<p>Pirelli Winter Ice Asimmetrico; "very good all weather performer,but expensive". (I bet they handle the best of the lot in the dry)<p>They say that the Dunlop Graspic and Yoko Guardex provide the very best winter traction(snow and ice), but they really suck in the wet.<p>Bill Shaffer
Old 12-29-1998, 09:17 AM
vinay

I put Pirelli Winter 210As on my new A4 and I live in Seattle so we probably share similar conditions. These tires are great in the dry and wet and are rated at 130mph for dry conditions. However I just went on a trip to the Canadian rockies and had no problems whatsoever in snow and ice. They provided adequate traction at moderate speeds in the worst of conditions. If I was living in mostly snowy/icy winter areas I'd get dedicated ice/winter tires. Otherwise these performance tires are the best compromise for me since I see more rain than snow or ice. Hope this helps.<p>Vinay
Old 12-29-1998, 11:45 AM
John Karasaki

We have both the studded Hakka 1's (205/55/16) and the Dunlop Graspic HS1's (195/60/15 - does double duty on the 5 bolt converted 4kq - the correct size is 195/65/15). Both did very well this past week in Portland's snow, ice and slush. This included some Hans Stuck like rally driving up Logie Trail Road in the snow/ice.<p>The Graspic HS1's are pretty lame in the rain though.<p>The snows are mounted on extra wheels so I swapped the good Dunlop rubber (D40M2 and SP8000) back on the cars last night.<p>IMHO, you really need an extra set of wheels/tires in Portland, OR. Drastic weather changes are the norm here. Just look at the past week: 30 F and ice one day, 50 F and floods the next.<p>The cool thing is that you can go to a U-pull-it yard and get older 5 bolt 15" Audi wheels for $25-$35 each. These work great for snow tires.<p>If you need a set, let me know. My mechanic has a stack of these in his shop.<p>BTW, if you get the Graspics, remember to get the HS1 version. The other Graspic (sans HS1) is only a M&S rated tire and cost about $3 less each.