Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Tire question: Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position v. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 v. BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD v. Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 . . . (more and long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-1999, 11:03 AM
rich

Default Tire question: Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position v. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 v. BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD v. Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 . . . (more and long)

I live in the Portland, Ore. area and am considering upgrading the wheels and tires on my 99.5 A4 2.8 QMS to 17'' wheels. I am also considering (albeit for a ways in the future) an upgrade to the PES supercharging system. I will want to upgrade the existing tires to a 225/45/17 size ultra-high performance tire that can handle the frequent wet weather of the pacific northwest. Do you have any idea which of the above tires will present the best balance of performance on wet and dry road surfaces? Also, I have checked a comparison of the above tires at the Tirerack web site, but are you aware of any other online reviews or comparisons of these tires? Thanks for your help.<p>/rich<br>
Old 07-25-1999, 12:16 AM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Tire question...

I don't have personal experience with any of these (currently have P7000ss in 225/45ZR17) but this is what I've gathered:<p>S-02PPs are reputed to be excellent in wet and dry; SP9000s are excellent in wet, OK in dry until they're worn in a bit and cost less; the KD in the gForce name refers to "killer performance in the DRY". Wet performance may not be as good; Same goes for the MXX3s, I believe.<p>OTOH, Michelin has a new tire, already released in Europe and found on M3s here, called the Pilot Sport. I imagine it will have much improved wet performance (touted in the print ad). It strongly resembles the S-02PP.<p>That said. I'd go for the S-02s or wait for the new Pilots.<p>HTH, Jim
Old 07-25-1999, 03:31 AM
Chris C

Default Another tire to consider is theYokohama AVS Sport...

I have put about 5000 mi on mine (225/45-17) and the perform phenomenally in both the wet and the dry. They a very quiet for a high performance tire. There is no appreciable wear yet and they are $165 at the Tire Rack, which is a $33/tire savings. They are expected to last longer than the SO-2's. The tire comparison on the Tire Rack's website is pretty accurate. Check it out.
Old 07-25-1999, 07:53 AM
TommyT

Re:I would also conider the toyo T1S that just came out
Old 07-26-1999, 11:21 AM
Eddie@Tirerack.com

Default Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position

Bridgestones.<p>I run them on my 323i. <p>The testing (I drive on them in our testing we do). The other posts to your message are pretty accurate. The S02s are the best wet tire you will find, very comfortable ride. 5k on mine so far, no uneven treadwear.<p>The AVS Sports are proving to be a real nice tire. S02s still better in wet, treadwear pretty close to S02s, but a great bang for the buck for that level of performance.<p>If ytou want to look at primarily a dry handling tire, run the BFG GForse TA KDs.<p>Take a look at the testing on our homepage, feel free to call me or email with questions (orders graciously accepted too! :-)<p>Eddie<br>800.428.8355, ext 369<p><ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com">http://www.tirerack.com</a></li></ul>
Old 07-26-1999, 11:45 AM
qt4lddht

Ditto to your impressions for 225/50-16 size ($156) --
Old 07-27-1999, 04:56 PM
Mark Collett @ Michelin

Default Ditto .. wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport, but I may be biased :)

Contrary to looks, the MXX3 is actually pretty decent in the wet. But I will be looking to get a set of the Sports when the time comes. I don't have my A4 yet so that will be awhile anyway. <p>Mark C.
Old 07-28-1999, 05:08 AM
Steve S.

Default Ut oh...the cat is out of the bag now....

Mark is the Michelin man....:-)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<p>P.S. I went for the Kumho's this time...I need them to last a little bit longer<br>than the BFG g-force R1s.
Old 07-28-1999, 10:20 AM
Eddie@Tirerack.com

Default That is assuming they will be available (245/40/17 MXX3s ring a bell???? (eom)

nt<br>
Old 07-28-1999, 02:04 PM
Drew S.

Default Agreed. Love my Toyos. Not found at Tirerack, but don't let that stop you!

I've got Toyo Proxes T1-Plus. Check out www.toyo.com for more info. The T1-Plus is just great in wet and dry.<br><ul><li><a href="http://www.toyo.com">www.toyo.com</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Tire question: Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position v. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 v. BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD v. Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 . . . (more and long)