Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-1999, 12:02 PM
Becker...

Default Tire Repair

Went out the other night to find that my right rear tire was looking low. Put some air in it and checked on it a few hours later, good thing I did. The tire was alomst completely flat. Question is, what is the difference between patching and pluging? I can't even find the hole in the tire, and I searched for quite a while. Should I attempt to find a place that uses one method over the other?<p>Thanks,<p>Becker...
Old 01-25-1999, 12:50 PM
Andi

Default Re: Tire Repair

Have you hit a curb recently?<p>Maybe the lip of the rim is bent. (n/m)
Old 01-25-1999, 01:47 PM
Becker...

Default Not Again!

I sure hope not! If that is the case, these Chicago roads are killing me, did the same thing last winter with my Eclipse. Fortunately, there is no visible rim damage, like there was with the Eclipse (the Eclipse rim still held air). Time will tell, my dealer said they will patch the tire for no charge, that's cool!
Old 01-25-1999, 03:49 PM
CraigB

Default Check for a nail with a broken off head...

May be hard to spot, with the wheel on the car. For a patch, they remove the tire from the rim and affix a patch to the inside (preferred method). A plug is made of some thick string with some vulcanized (no...not you Spock) rubber goop on it. It's inserted fully into the pucture with a screwdriver type tool, pulled back and cutoff flush; I have plugged tires in the past with no problems (tread punctures only). Good luck!<p>CraigB
Old 01-26-1999, 06:12 AM
Becker...

Default Sidewall Damage

Dealer says there is sidewall damage, no way to repair the tire. They also want $191 to replace the tire, does anyone have the specs on the stock Conti, I think I'd like to see what I can get it for.
Old 01-26-1999, 08:39 AM
Ray Calvo

Patching MUCH preferred over plugging. However, requires tire removal from rim
Old 01-27-1999, 04:03 PM
Mark Collett

Default Re: Not Again!

Did you say earlier that there was sidewall damage? Then PLEASE replace the tire!<br>Otherwise use ONLY a patch for a tread puncture.<p>Mark