Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

TPMS Driving me NUTS!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Driving me NUTS!!! Help!!!

Okay, a little background:

2009 A4 Cabriolet. 9000 miles. I had a nail in the sidewall so it could not be repaired. The TPMS kept saying I had a flat, but the tire would go no lower than 20 psi. I put the spare on the ground and bought a new tire for the spare. (Since they no longer make the OEM tires!!!!grrr.....)

I noted, when the leaking origional tire was in the trunk, that a different TPMS warning came on. The light flashed and the center indicator showed "TPMS" and not the normal warning. Today, my wife calls me and says that the TPMS is flashing and showing "TPMS" in the center of the dash.

I need to know:

1. Are there sensors in each wheel?

2. What does this style of warning indicate?

3. Why is the TPMS in this car so dang sensitive?

FWIW, she got the flat tire warning on my BMW 745 yesterday too. As usual, she thought it was the same issue as the A4. Wrong! She completely cut the tread off of the side walls on my right rear tire. Those 285/35/20's ain't cheap! So, in a week, I have bought two 20" tires and one 18" tire. I guess its good to have the TPMS, but it sure is nerve racking when the light up ALL THE TIME.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luigi,

Location?

If in US, 2009 haves sensors on each wheel.

Check and correct the pressure from each wheel and then press "set pressure" from car menu.

If I remember right, yellow color is low pressure and red color is malfunction.

Though when I changed my summer set to winter set and didn't press "set pressure" to let car computer to know to look sensors with different serial number, I got yellow "TPMS ERROR" warning.

Every time when you fiddle the pressure or change from one set to another or use spare, press "set pressure" as there is new sensor(s) with new serial number(s) computer have to find.

Anyways, if you keep getting the tpms warning and no matter you check the pressure and it is ok, you can either take it to dealer and let them sort it out or you need to use vag-com to check sensors and check have one failed.

Last edited by kleinbus; 02-02-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info.

I called Audi here In Roswell GA, and explained to them what was going on. It seems that, as you explained, I need to tell the system what is going on. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure it is in the manual somewhere. Once she brings it home from the airport tomorrow, I give it a good read and see if I can get it straightened out.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

FWIW, I have replaced the 2 rears on the A4, 2 rears on an '05 BMW 745Li (20"'s) and one front tire on my Durango in the last week. It has not been a good tire month here at the ole homestead! The tire shoppe loves me though!