Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

What pressure to use for Pirelli W210As on A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-1999, 06:34 PM
TobyM

What pressure to use for Pirelli W210As on A4?
Old 11-22-1999, 05:26 AM
Andy Hedin

Default I used 36 front/35 rear on my '97 1.8Tqms; 205-55-16

nt
Old 11-22-1999, 06:38 AM
TobyM

Sound more reasonable than 40 as recommended by my tire store. Tnx
Old 11-22-1999, 07:41 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Owner's manual recommends +3 psi for snow tires (more)

Audi recommends 3 psi more pressure per tire for winter tires. So take the guidelines outlined inside your fuel-filler flap and add 3 psi to it. I would always follow the car manufacturer's recommended tire pressure settings before I listened to a tire store.

Andy Hedin
Old 11-22-1999, 07:46 AM
CraigB

I put in 38psi yesterday (I used about 36psi last year).
Old 11-22-1999, 09:13 AM
Bill S.

Default I'm still confused, because my fuel filler door says . . .

For "195/65/R15 M&S" the fuel filler door recommends 38 psi for all wheels unless car is heavily loaded. I'm assuming that is correct for 15" winter tires (which I have) without adding another 3 psi.

For "205/55/R16" (no mention of M&S), the fuel door recommends 36 psi for all tires. So, for 16" winter tires, would you have to add 3 psi to the recommended pressure of 36 psi? Or would you stay with 36 psi?

The reason I'm confused here is that my car (98.5 non-sport Avant) came with 16" Continental all season M&S rated tires. I have been assuming that the fuel door recommendation of 36 psi is correct for the tires the car came with, even though the fuel door doesn't actually mention M&S tires for that size. Or should I actually be using 39 psi on my Continental all-seasons, which I am planning to use as summer tires until they wear a bit more?

Seems like Audi could have made their recommendations a bit clearer.
Old 11-22-1999, 09:39 AM
Andy Hedin

Default My thoughts...

<i>For "205/55/R16" (no mention of M&S), the fuel door recommends 36 psi for all tires. So, for 16" winter tires, would you have to add 3 psi to the recommended pressure of 36 psi? Or would you stay with 36 psi?</i>

I would take the 36 psi and add 3 psi as the manual states. So use 39 psi for your starting point and adjust up or down as you see fit. Personally, I like 36 fronts 35 rear....works for me. Feel free to experiment a bit with the pressures. Just don't get silly and run 15 psi or 50 psi.

<i>The reason I'm confused here is that my car (98.5 non-sport Avant) came with 16" Continental all season M&S rated tires. I have been assuming that the fuel door recommendation of 36 psi is correct for the tires the car came with, even though the fuel door doesn't actually mention M&S tires for that size. Or should I actually be using 39 psi on my Continental all-seasons, which I am planning to use as summer tires until they wear a bit more?</i>

I would run the recommended 36 psi for an all-season tire such as the Continental.
Old 11-22-1999, 10:16 AM
TobyM

My '00 w/sport pkg.= 32 psi inside fuel door. i'll look at manual for M&S recommendation.
Old 11-22-1999, 10:45 AM
Bill S.

Default Re: My thoughts...

Andy, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. The owner's manuals says that radial ply M&S tires require an additional 3 psi. It doesn't make a distinction between all-season M&S tires and winter M&S tires.

Based on that, you would think that if Audi recommends 36 psi for 16" non-M&S tires then we should use 39 psi for either all-season or winter M&S tires. That would mean running the stock Continentals 3 psi above the pressure listed on the fuel door.

But wouldn't Audi list the correct pressure for the tires the car ships with? Maybe not, if they don't bother to vary the fuel door label depending on what tires go on the car.

I know that a few psi one way or the other is not critical. In fact, my experience with tire pressure guages tells me that most people, and perhaps many shops, are using guages that may be off by 3-4 psi anyway. But it would be nice to know what Audi is actually recommending as a starting point.

Perhaps the only way to find out for sure would be ask them--though based on my experiences with AofA, the information received might not be exactly definitive . . .
Old 11-22-1999, 11:48 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: My thoughts...

<i>Andy, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. The owner's manuals says that radial ply M&S tires require an additional 3 psi. It doesn't make a distinction between all-season M&S tires and winter M&S tires.

Based on that, you would think that if Audi recommends 36 psi for 16" non-M&S tires then we should use 39 psi for either all-season or winter M&S tires. That would mean running the stock Continentals 3 psi above the pressure listed on the fuel door.</i>

Hmmm...since I don't use all-season tires on my A4 in the summer, I haven't really given this issue that much thought. My take was that the +3 psi only applied to a snow tire...I don't recall if all-season tires are technically "M+S" rated or not. Based on what you're telling me, I guess they are. I would use 36 psi for the Continental all-season tires and 39 psi for snow tires. I think you might be reading too much into this. AFAIK, Audi does not change the sticker on the inside of the fuel-filler door based on the tires on your A4. They list pressures for both 195/65/15 and for the 205/55/16 size and mention +3 psi for winter tires in the manual. That's my understanding of what Audi's trying to communicate to us.

Andy Hedin

Quick Reply: What pressure to use for Pirelli W210As on A4?