Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

What is the world's most QUIET tire????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 06:34 AM
Roy M

Default What is the world's most QUIET tire????

I know everyone talks performance, speed and handling. All this item are very important and I know how tires can change a cars personality. What would you recommend as the best tire if the most important consideration are:
1) Noise
2) Noise
3) Noise
4) Ride Comfort
5) Handling
6) Speed Rating
Just interested in seeing what is available as a quiet tire.
Roy M
Old 12-30-1999, 09:32 AM
Goku

Default A non rotating one;)

Actually, my Yoko AVS S1 in 225/40/18s are pretty quiet. And the handling and grip are amazing compared to my past tires.
Old 12-31-1999, 07:08 AM
Peter

Default Can't give you a SPECIFIC answer, but here are some guidelines

Tire manufacturers use different size tread blocks around the circumference of the tire to quell resonances. So if you look at a tire, and the tread blocks are the same size all the way around, skip it if noise is your primary concern.

Noise or ride quality have never been big concerns for me, so I can't give you any specific makes/models. But anything labeled as a "touring tire" should be very quiet, and still have respectable performance for everyday needs.
Check out the Bridgestone Turanza Revo. I never used it, but I've heard good things about it from several sources (including Tire Rack).

Remeber, all tires represent a compromise.
High-performance tires perform great at the expense of ride quality, noise, treadlife, etc.
Snow tires are great in the winter, but at the expense of noise and dry handling.
All-season tires are a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.
And "touring tires" are a subset of all-season tires, but their compromise favors a comfortable and quiet ride over ultimate performance.
And they usually have good treadlife too.

--Peter
Old 01-02-2000, 04:55 PM
JohnO

Good guess: whatever Lexus puts on the LS 400 (nt)