Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

winter or all season tires for winter wheels (long explanation)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter or all season tires for winter wheels (long explanation)?

I got a used b5 s4 avant in Colorado about 9 months ago. I absolutely love the car. It came with a set of winter wheels (16") and the stock wheels with summer tires. I swapped out to the winter wheels and drove the car out to Boston last fall. I went skiing several times this winter, as was just generally glad to have the snow tires on the car.

The snow tires were on their last season, and they definitely need to be replaced. I had been planning on shipping out the stock wheels and getting new summer tires for them. But as it turns out I'm leaving my job and also leaving Boston this summer, and it doesn't make sense to ship out the second set of wheels only to have to move them again so soon. But I need new tires asap, the winter tires on my car are pretty worn.

I've only gotten to drive the car a couple times on non-winter tires, and I was really looking forward to putting on the stock 17" wheels with summer shoes. So now I'm faced with the decision of what tires to replace the current 205/55 R16 winter tires with. After I move, I intend to ship out the stock rims, but the timing is still up in the air. Do I get more winter tires now and just suck up with the faster wear and lack luster performance in the summer? Do I get all seasons, take advantage of them this summer, and use them as my winter tires till they need to be replaced, accepting their less capable winter ablitiy? Should I get cheap summer performance tires and try to do something with them come winter and get winter tires at that point?

I'm leaning toward an all season. I'll likely be seeing some snow in the winters (going sking), but it seems like with a winter geared all season and the Quattro id be all right. Any input or tire suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks for reading all of this.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's the solution...

1) High Performance Winter Tire
I recommend Dunlop Wintersport M3. High performance winter tires typically have somewhat stiffer tread compound and sidewalls as compared to ice tires (i.e. blizzak Revo/WS50, Nokian RSi, etc). Because they're designed for higher speed winter driving, they will handle better on the dry pavement, and they'll also do better in the summer heat than your typical winter/ice tire.

2) Amazing snow performing all season (many people use as winters)
I recommend Nokian WR. for 205/55/16 they are available in H and V rating, pay the few extra bucks and get the V rated. (Stiffer sidewall increases turn in response and overall handling)

Option 2 will hold up better in the summer and really does hold it's own in the winter.

With Option 1 I'd take it a little more easy in the summer, but it will be great in the winter.

-Jordan
Old 06-17-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you really are better off with 2 sets, but.

if you really want 1 set to do it all. then the Nokian WR is pretty much the best out there for a tire that fits your purpose. Jprice is on the money as always..

If you are coming back to Colorado please get a set of snow tires for winter use. We don't need anymore people than we already have in the high country on all-seasons.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. The wintersports are great winter tires.

They'll be OK in the summer as well (I've heard people say that they like them so much, they hate to take them off in the summer). You may wear them a bit quicker in the summer months, but you will have a very solid tire when the snow starts to fly.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys, this was really helpful