Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Winter tires for the Pacific Northwest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires for the Pacific Northwest?

The S4 forum basically said the P6000's are worthless if not downright dangerous in the snow. Unfortunately, these are what I have.

So, from about December to March I expect road conditions where I am to be about 60% wet, 30% dry, 10% slick (black ice, ice, light snow).

What tires would be good for these conditions that are the same size as my P6000's? Ideally, it would be nice if I could use the tires throughout the year.

I won't be changing the tires myself -- can I assume a reputable shop can change them without damaging the rims, or is there always some damage?

-Dave
Old 10-09-2001, 04:23 AM

Default Some advice...

It sounds like you are looking for all season tires (one tire for all conditions).

Unfortunately, all season tires compromise everything to do everything. With an S4 I would want to be sure I had tires up to the chassis and that means dedicated winter tires and dedicated summer tires.

I am running Blizzak LM22 winter tires here in the Northeast in winter months. I found these tires handle snow, slush and wet conditions extremely well and they are reasonable on dry roads, unlike a some of the winter tires (including earlier Blizzaks) which feel like Jello on dry roads.

As for good shops to mount tires...I looked up places recommended by Tire Rack on their site home page, picked one and have been very happy with them. They have removed and mounted 3 sets of tires on 3 sets of alloy wheels for me now and none have had the slightest scratch afterward.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:09 AM

Default If a shop spends the money for a Hunter 9700 they usually care what-->

they are doing and are a cut above the rest. Hunter website has a search feature so you can find shops in your area.<ul><li><a href="http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm">http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-09-2001, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Winter tires for the Pacific Northwest?

Try Yokohama AVS dB..great handling in all conditions. Not sure if available in the size you need.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:06 AM

Default Some more thoughts

I run Michelin Pilot Alpins up here in Vancouver. I use them in basically the same road conditions as you. Mostly the rain, but there are occasional trips up to Whistler in the snow / slush. They seem to clean well with the wet snow. As well, I think that they handle quite well when it is dry out. I would recommend them.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:44 PM
JA

Default Pilot Alpins are a Good Match for NW Winter

They grip and handle well on bare and wet or bare and dry and have been very capable in snow.

I bought 195-65 X 15 so I could use cable chains (carefully) if I needed to. I always carry a pair of chains, but in two years skiing in the Cascades, I have never even come close to needing them.

Inflated to 44 psi, they provide decent lateral grip and feel on dry pavement.

Last fall I made a 5,000 mile trip through all 9 western states, crossed the Continental Divide 5 times. The little Michelins handled everything from snow and mountain roads to 115 MPH while crossing Death valley. (Passing 3 trucks in a row -- I didn't intend to go that fast, Officer!).

I prefer to use a performance tires Apr - Oct, but these would be a good all-season choice.

I have not driven on them, but I have read that the Artic Alpins and to a greater extent Blizzaks are compromised a little more toward grip on ice, but give up some bare and wet grip and dry road handling to get it. They might be a better choice for the Mid-west where roads are covered with snow and ice most of the time.

Good luck

John Alberti
1999.5 1.8Tqms
Santorin Blue
Garret V 1.5
Old 10-10-2001, 08:03 AM

Default You definitely need them -->

I posted some info that will help you narrow down your selections. Based upon that you will be needing it sounds like for wet traction & freezing the Bridgestone Blizzak LM 22s should be your tire of choice.

Take a look at my link & read up for a bit more info & then give me a call to narrow it down, I can then order for you!

Thanks!
Eddie<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/42599.phtml">Winter Tire post</a></li></ul>