Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

WINTER tires vs. SNOW tires, experiences - suggestions? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 07:26 AM
RickD

Default WINTER tires vs. SNOW tires, experiences - suggestions? (more)

I live on the east coast and go to the Pocono Mtns (HILLS) every weekend during the winter with occasional trips to Vermont. The debate I'm having in my head is whether to get winter tires (Pirelli winter 210A, Dunlop winter sport M2) or real snow/ice tires (Pirelli ice 210A, Dunlop Graspics). I just don't know if I would be giving too much up in dry performance with the aggressive snow tires or are they that much better in bad conditions that make them worth the trade off. I have always driven very cautious in bad weather, so I don't expect to be pushing the limits of the car (on the roads at least), but I want to feel secure that I have the best setup underneath me. The amount if ice that I have seen up there is what is really making me stop and think. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!<p>Rick<br>99.5 1.8TQMS Garrett
Old 08-09-1999, 08:31 AM
PhilH

Default Re: WINTER tires vs. SNOW tires, experiences - suggestions? (more)

I have Blizzaks on my wife's car and they are truly amazing in the snow, but I feel ice tires like this may be overkill for an experienced winter driver with quattro (at least in the Poconos). I also plan to get ice tires, the Pirelli Ice 210A, for my newly purchased (used) BMW, but feel I have no real choice for a RWD car with no traction control.<p>If I were you I would be very comfortable with getting some more aggressive winter tires. You'll be better off than 90% of the other cars on the road in the snow and still will be able to have some fun in the dry.
Old 08-09-1999, 01:19 PM
qt4lddht

Default WINTER tires vs. SNOW tires, experiences - suggestions? (longish)

Around this time last year, I was asking the same question (in CO). Because I don't drive very aggressively even on dry days during the winter months and I was too cheap to buy 17" wheels for my summer setup, I went with a Minus One (15") steel wheel (Passat takeoffs) with Pirelli Winter Ice Direzionales. I find the ice compound to be overkill except for maybe 2 days a year. And on those 2 days, the ice is so bad the danger comes from everyone else's total lack of grip!<p>Had I to do it over again, I'd go with the 210 Asimmetrico (non-ice version) or the winter M2 on my stock 16" rims, and then worry about paying for 17" wheels in 7 months!<p>Note, you probably shouldn't use the same wheels and keep mounting/dismounting all the time.<p>-- David F.<br>1.8TqMS<br>'87 325is
Old 08-09-1999, 01:23 PM
RickD

Default Thanks for the input! BTW, no need to worry, just picked up OEM 5-spokers for winter.

nt<br>
Old 08-10-1999, 09:17 AM
Steve Crandall

Default Re: WINTER tires vs. SNOW tires, experiences - suggestions? (more)

I had some Blizzaks -- amazing tires in the snow. Unfortunately they are complete dogs on dry pavement. Around here (NJ) the roads are nominally clear so the Blizzaks were replaced by all weather tires with good results. Now I use good sense not to be on unplowed roads and enjoy almost reasonable handling when the roads are clear...