Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Winter Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Wheel

I was looking to get a set of winter wheels for my A5 3.2 S-line and had a couple basic questions. First set of winter rims so just want to make sure I have all the details. If I was to buy a set of Rims and Tires can I do the swap myself, or do I have to go get them professionally installed (balance and all that stuff). Tirerack offers the Mounting and Balancing so I was hoping I can just swap them out with my current wheels. Also I see where people mention spacers and stuff is that required? What I am looking to purchase is below. Any insight you could offer or advice would be appreciated. Also anyone have any experience with the below Tire, I beleive it is the tire that comes with the Audi winter tire package.

Tire: 245/40R18 XL Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Blackwall AO (Audi) for 2009 Audi A5 3.2 S-Line

Rim: Sport Edition SE-14

TPMS: 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor

Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

The 3D is a very good winter tire. A touch softer than most all-seasons on dry/wet, but excellent in the snow and slush for CT and New England. I've had it on two bmw's and it took me through some crazy storms. Could you go narrower? 225/45-18 or 225/50-17 are good sizes as well (though the latter doesn't exist in any inventory).

The only thing about the tirerack wheels/package is that they require rings and lugbolts, if you are fine with that, it's an excellent solution.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Xphstos
I was looking to get a set of winter wheels for my A5 3.2 S-line and had a couple basic questions. First set of winter rims so just want to make sure I have all the details. If I was to buy a set of Rims and Tires can I do the swap myself, or do I have to go get them professionally installed (balance and all that stuff). Tirerack offers the Mounting and Balancing so I was hoping I can just swap them out with my current wheels. Also I see where people mention spacers and stuff is that required? What I am looking to purchase is below. Any insight you could offer or advice would be appreciated. Also anyone have any experience with the below Tire, I beleive it is the tire that comes with the Audi winter tire package.

Tire: 245/40R18 XL Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Blackwall AO (Audi) for 2009 Audi A5 3.2 S-Line

Rim: Sport Edition SE-14

TPMS: 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor

Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing
When ordering from us, the wheels and tires will arrive mounted and balanced, ready to bolt on (no professional shop is needed).

The Dunlop Winter Sport 3D is an outstanding choice for a balance of snow and ice traction along with good wet and dry road grip for those times where the roads are clear.

The Sport Edition SE14 wheels are sold out for the season, but there are other styles near that price point that are still in stock, like the Sport Edition ST3.
You can view the complete list of wheel and tire options, along with costs and availability here :

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp
Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the Feedback on the tires.

Gary do I need anything special, or is it simply just a change of the tires. Equ mentions mentions that I need to get rings and lugbolts anythign else or is that it?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

One more quick question. Do I have to worry about anything if I switch from 19s to 18s for the winter?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor

As long as you purchase a tire with the correct overall diameter (which 245/40R18 is), there is no problem with going to 18".

Any needed lug hardware or rings will be included with the wheel at no charge automatically.